Internet and Electronic Devices
The internet and electronic devices have changed our world, offering unparalleled resources and associated challenges. As the technology has expanded, so have the implications related to the safety and privacy of students and staff.
Rainbow Schools remind students and parents/guardians that cell phones, digital cameras, personal digital and other electronic devices can be disruptive and must not be brought to school without written permission of school staff.
Electronic devices must not be used in a manner that violates the privacy or dignity of others. This includes; taking photographs of a person or persons on school property and/or at school events without the permission of the person or persons being photographed; and posting photographs on the internet and/or electronically transmitting photographs of a person or persons taken on school property and/or at school events without the permission of the person or persons in the photograph.
Using the Internet and electronic devices with care will ensure that the safety and privacy of students and staff remain first and foremost. The use of cell phones is not permitted at school.
It is our belief that cameras and cell phones with cameras pose privacy and confidentiality concerns to all staff and students at Larchwood Public School. These concerns are being recognized in all areas of society and limits on the use of such devices can now be found everywhere. Therefore, the following policy has been developed.
Electronic Devices Policy
- Unless otherwise stated in a student’s Individual Education Plan, electronic devices such as mp3 players, portable DVD players and electronic games must be kept in their school bag for the duration of the school day.
- Students in possession of these devices during the school day will be asked to take them immediately to their school bags or another secure location.
- Cameras are not permitted at school unless under the direct supervision of a staff member, for educational purposes. The taking of student or staff photos, without expressed written consent is forbidden.
- Under no circumstances are cameras or cell phones permitted in washrooms or change rooms. Students disregarding this will have their device(s) confiscated and a parent/guardian will be contacted to retrieve the item(s) in question.
- Cell phones must be kept in school bags for the duration of the school’s instructional day unless under the direct supervision of a staff member.
- Students who bring electronic devices to school accept all responsibility for their safekeeping. Staff members are not responsible for finding these items should they go missing.